Most of the central business district has been designated a National Historic District and more than 50 buildings have informative bronze plaques detailing the year of construction and original owner. Antique stores, galleries, crafts shops, restaurants, B&B’s and a variety of boutiques line the main streets.
The Pike County Chamber of Commerce is located at the Callahan House, at Milford’s south edge on Route 206, and offers a wide variety of visitor information. The Pike County Preservation Trust has created a walking tour of Milford’s Historic District, which is available at the Chamber office and in many shops. Below are excerpts from that tour:
Home of the Pike County Historical Society and the “Lincoln flag.”
Housed in what was originally the summer home of the McLaughlin family, of Jersey
City and Hoboken, the Columns has 24 rooms, including 12 bedrooms. The “Hiawatha
Stagecoach” is housed in the porte-cochere.
608 Broad Street
This structure has classic elements including a cornice with small tooth-like
dentils, pilasters, door surrounds with rectangular transoms and side lites.
The second story round-hooded window is topped with a keystone in the molding.
The imposing front portico is supported by two sets of Ionic columns.
201 Broad & East Harford Streets
This three-story side-gabled brick building has two simple features: a wide band of trim below the cornice and Doric columns supporting the wrapped double-gallery porch. The shed dormer with three sets of double window was a later addition. The inn was built by Samuel Dimmick to replace a former structure built in 1828 by Mrs. Pinchot and destroyed by fire. Samuel served, at various times, as the Pike County Treasurer, Commissioner and Justice of the Peace. His daughter, Miss Fan, was considered a natural rebel of her time; she was Assistant Postmaster, played the fiddle, fished, rode horseback, dressed in “men’s” clothing and ran the business.
Designed by the famed architect of the late 19th century, Richard Morris Hunt,
the style relates to the French Renaissance. Many chimneys and round turrets
with their conical-shaped roofs flanking the façade suggest the strong
French influence. It is presently owned by the U.S. Forest Service and is a
Historic National Landmark. The house and grounds were renovated in the late
1990’s and are now open to the public.
Milford Owego Turnpike (look for the sign on Harford Street near the Grand Union)
One of the more majestic pieces of historic architecture to be found in Pike
County is Forest Hall, Designed by Hunt & Hunt and built in 1903 though
an endowment by the Pinchot family, the building served for years as Yale University’s
School of Forestry. Today it is privately owned and houses fine galleries and
206-16 Broad Street, the corner of Broad and Harford Streets
This villa under went an extensive historical renovation and has reopen as
a luxury hotel with a fine dining restaurant, the Delmonico Room and an ultra-chic
bistro named Bar Louis. Originally built as a summer hotel by Louis Fauchère,
who was a chef of Delmonico’s restaurant in New York City and brought
his elegant “city” clientele to Milford. The Hotel Fauchère
has a grand history, having hosted three Presidents (both Roosevelts and Kennedy)
a large number of stars of stage and screen, artists and writers, including
Lionel Barrymore, the Gish Sisters, Mary Pickford, Pearl White, Sarah Bernhardt,
Ogden Nash, Robert Frost, Jules Offenbach and captains of industry like Henry
Ford and Andrew Carnegie.
401 Broad Street
This building is faced and cornered with indigenous blue stone. Originally
the tower was capped with an open metal form to support the fire alarm bell.
109 West Catherine Street
This building was originally on the old Schocopee Road and served as the school
for Milford Township, grades 1-8 until 1946. Approximately 15 students attended
each year. It was moved to Apple Valley Village in 1975 and opened for the Bicentennial
celebration of 1976.
Route 6 & Apple Valley Village
This vernacular structure is side-gabled with masonry of rubble stone. It
is Pennsylvania’s second-oldest, still-standing courthouse structure,
serving as the Pike County courthouse until 1874, when the present courthouse
was built. Later, it served as the county jail and today is used by the Pike
County Sheriff’s office. Look closely for the five windows that have been
filled-in with stone to prevent prisoners from escaping.
500-2 Broad Street
A blend of Second Empire and free, classical elements, this building was designed
by architect George Barton and built by Abram D. Brown. The roofline is rich
with Palladian dormers, a classical pediment and domed cupola with paired pilasters.
412-14 Broad Street
The mill still has an operating water wheel that can be visited by the public
and offers a self-guided free tour. Run for many years by the Rowe Brothers
the mill had wood and metal shops, a black smith and grist mill; today it is
home to boutiques, a café/bakery and bar.
150 Water Street
This three-story hotel was owned by Amanda Beck Terwilliger. The mansard,
or dual-pitched, hipped roof provided extra rooms on the upper floor behind
the steep roofline. Another Second Empire hotel was built right next door by
George A. Frieh and operated by his wife Louise. The two hotels were joined
together by in 1950 by Robert Phillips to become the Tom Quick Inn.
409-11 Broad Street